Programs and Facilities
Yarralumla Primary school's programs and facilities reflect its commitment to offering students a diversity of learning experiences in an inclusive environment. Here is a summary of what we provide for our students and learning community.
- Bilingual Italian program - Kindergarten to Year 6 (50% Italian and 50% English)
- English only streams with Italian LOTE
- Montessori Cycle 1 program for children aged 3 to 6 in the Montessori Villa
- Introductory Italian for preschool and Montessori children
- Special support programs EALD (English as an Additional Language or Dialect) and early intervention Learning Assistance
- High quality Australian curriculum inquiry-based units of work
- Strong emphasis on literacy using whole language and phonics based programs
- Two Autism Units with separate interior and exterior safe, caring learning environments
- Strong focus on Social and Emotional learning based on the Positive Behaviours for Learning program: Be a STAR (Safe, Team Player, Active Learner, Respectful), as well as the Friendly Schools Plus program, Rock and Water resilience program and Mindfulness
- Fresh Tastes focus on sustainable environmental practices and delivery of curriculum through the Giardino (school garden)
- A music tutor scheme (guitar, ukulele and piano) and Year 3-6 Music Program (Year 5 and 6 Woodwind Band)
- STEAM enrichment alternate Wednesdays (odd weeks)
- Whole School Assemblies alternate Wednesdays (even weeks)
- Excellent library with a range of texts and readers in English and Italian
- Redesigned and refurbished classrooms with access to collaborative learning spaces
- State of the art ICT facilities –Chromebooks, iPads, Macbooks, Interactive White Boards in every classroom
- A Creative Arts After School Care Program (Aeoncademy) and YWCA After School Care
In all programs of learning, the critical questions we ask our students and that guide teachers' planning of student learning are:
- What are you learning and what are you expected to learn?
- How will you know when you have learned it?
- How will we work together as teacher and student to help you learn it?
- How will we work together to plan further learning when you already know it?